Thursday, June 11, 2009

New Model Ruger Blackhawk Convertible

Well, first of all, sorry for MIA for a while. School and stuff just keep me away than the laziness just took over. I'll try to keep this Blog at least one post a week. For this week, I decide to do a gun review for one of my new member of family.

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible
(means it come with extra cylinder so it not only can shoot 357mag and 38spl, it can also shoot 9mm with swap of cylinder.)

Spec:
Blued finish
6 1/2" barrel
Adjustable Sight
Wood Grip
No internal lock
weights 48oz

According to Ruger website's serial number history, the one I got was build 1989. The correct full name is New Model Blackhawk Convertible in caliber of 357/9. The New Model refer to the 2 screws disgin as appose to the 3 screws Old Model design. I believe Ruger change the design in 1973 and the main reason is the old design is prone to "drop fire" (means, while hammer is down but some how get a blow from behind the hammer like if drop the gun to floor, may or may not cause accidental fire).

However, my NMBH (New Model Blackhawk) is not the newest model that include an internal lock inside of grip. Really who's idea was that? Let put a lock inside of gun, in order to unlock the gun, one must first find a screw driver, take the grip out than use a special key that work in all Ruger single action revolver to lock/unlock the gun. Than one must use the same screw driver, screw the grip back on, load the gun than it can be function like normal. Great, let your attacker have some time to order some Starbucks while you do all that. So, it definitely a plus that my NMBH isn't that one come with internal lock and that droughful black cheap plastic grip. Instead, it come with very nice rose wood grip.

From the appearance, it look just like any other old school single action revolver. With few modern twist, the flat top design, and adjustable rear sight. Most traditional single action revolver have a rounded top and that was partly because it have no rear sight. Many low profile back up or conceal carry purpose revolver doesn't have a rear sight. Instead it has a "tunnel" on top of the frame which line up with front sight. The NMBH use the almost same frame design as the Ruger's double action revolvers (SP, GP, Redhawk...etc) flat top.

Than, once you pick up the NMBH, you would soon realize the biggest different of it and tradition SA revolver like Colt SAA: it's SIZE. The NMBH is a size up all around. The Colt SAA weight in about 30oz to 35oz depend on the barrel size (4.5" to 7.5") but a 6.5" barrel NMBH weights in at 48oz. About one whole pound more than SAA.

At first the size/weight really trouble me. Like every soul, when taking about single action revolver, we automatic thought about wild wild west move. Where heroes raise his revolver by one hand and shot a running bandit from 100 yards away. But with 3 lbs of steel in hand, and the bulkiness of gun, it really make be wonder if I made a mistake of choosing NMBH instead of New Vaquero or Beretta Stamped which closer of old Colt SAA.

But all that doubt when away as soon as I fire my first shot at the range. I used the cheap wal mart ammo Winchester white box 38spl and 9mm. Out of NMBH, the recoil and muzzle flip was very minimal, all most feel like shooting 22mag. Even the 9mm out of NMBH, there wasn't noticeable more recoil, just a bit more muzzle flip. And the accuracy from bother caliber was dead accurate. In 30 feet, free stand slow shooting, I hit with both calibers, all within a 2 inches groups. That's pretty impressive for I'm not really a revolver guy and that was the first time I ever shot a big bore SA revolver.

I do want to add, despite some gunner encounter that 9mm out of NMBH wasn't as accurate as 357/38 due to the barrel wall and riffling size was meant for 357/38 and 9mm bullet size is a bit smaller (0.357" vs 0.355"). I found not much of different between them two. Of course I only shot them within the 30 feet, which I consider as "handgun range". This might change once go out over 50 fee, 50 yard, 100 yard...etc.

Another plus features, the quick release bottom on the Ruger single action base pin was awesome. Changing between two cylinders was cake and require no tool what so ever.

I never thought I would enjoying SA revolver this much. The trigger action was beautiful, it is not a DA revolver pre cocked the hammer. Two totally different animals. And the price for SA revolver is relativity speaking: inexpensive. NMBH can be found New for about $550~$600, and used for around $425~$480. It also come with differ net barrel length, finish, calibers and the special type of hammer+grip design call "Bisley" (Google it up!).

Well, that's it for my first gun review ever. I also have pictures of my targets. I will figure how to post here soon.

1 comment:

  1. got a question i didnt know if the one on the ruger website was the same ,had the new model 357 i got then in another section was the interchangable 357 with the 9mm cyclinder, r they the same guns,just one sell with cyclinder one dosnt the one with both cyclinders was cheaper than myne with the one

    ReplyDelete