Monday, January 11, 2010

Browning Hi Power vs CZ 75






One too many people has the idea that these two fine pistol somehow relate to each other. Obviously they share some charismatic similarities like they both have grip panels, spur or ring hammer, and frame profile is somewhat alike. But internal mechanism are very far apart.

Mr. Stephen Camp had done an out standing review on both of them, so I highly recommend everyone to read what the true expert has to say about them.

What I can offer are some personal opinion on these two pistol in a minor, more focus comparison:



Grip: BHP is a bit shorter and much thinner than CZ. But most of thickness come from the plastic stock CZ grip. So if you wish, there are some thin grip available out there, they range from $55 to $105, rubber, plastic, wood and aluminum.

Silde: CZ's slide runs inside of frame, it cause the slide surface a bit smaller than most translational pistol. Which is one of the common complain shooters give to CZ. Personally, I have that problem as well. I like to use reverse grip to rack my slide, and CZ's slide surface will work better if you use sling shot grip. But at lease they did not have slide mount safety like Jericho.
BHP has larger slide surface, work just like many other pistols. One thing many shooter notice is BHP has very strong recoil spring come stock. So some 100 pounds weak upper body strength shooter sometime complain about how difficult to rack the slide. (my girlfriend "cough" "cough")

Hammer: BHP when from ring hammer to spur hammer than go back to spur hammer. Supposedly, ring hammer is less bitty, but I never got bit by my C series BHP which came with spur hammer stock. And my paws are on the thicker side.
CZ's hammer when from spur to ring and seem to stick with it. I don't often hear about hammer bit from CZ shooter (could be due to the lesser population of CZ owner). But personally, I do not like the ring hammer. It's sharp and uncomfortable to manually cocked the hammer. I would get the CZ Competition hammer as soon as I can ($58).

Trigger: BHP has my favor kind of trigger. Short and light on the pre travel, heavy and crisp on the break point, and short reset. I have hear the mag safety will cause the trigger travel gritty. I have never feel that but my BHP is C series, which was made in 70's. I assume it's been policed by the thousands of round it got fired out of it. But I had take the mag safety out recently and it's a very easy job, anyone when ever detail strip a modern pistol will be able to do so. And step by step guides are available online, just google it.
CZ75 B or BD come with decent trigger. Mid to long trigger travel, a bit mush but very light break and mid trigger reset. CZ75 pre B has the better trigger than B/BD, due to the absent of firing pin safety. CZ75B SA, comes with better trigger in my book compare to B or BD. Trigger travel is a bit shorter than B/BD, still mush on the break point, short trigger reset. Trigger travel on a consistent light weight over all. A capable gun smith can do trigger job on CZ to make it lighter and crisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment